MP3 Gerald Boy - Medieval Cottage Songs
Soothing original classical guitar compositions of a refined European style with folk and Spanish influences; great to listen to for mellowing out, meditating, or for background music when having a heart-to-heart with friends.
17 MP3 Songs
CLASSICAL: Contemporary, EASY LISTENING: Background Music
A portion of Gerald''s lifetime has been spent in Aincourt, France, a small village near Paris. The area is renowned for its ancient chateaus, some of which are still occupied by descendants of the original nobility.
These surroundings influenced Gerald''s love for fine music and literature. It was this early exposure to chateaus that led to his building the cottage pictured on the CD cover; this cottage provided the perfect atmosphere for composing some of his songs.
Gerald''s European background is also reflected in these compositions. This debut CD, which was a year in the making, encompasses a variety of musicial stylings.
THE STORIES BEHIND THE COMPOSITIONS ON "MEDIEVAL COTTAGE SONGS"
Most of the compositions on this cd are solos, but on some Gerald is accompanied by guitar or electronic keyboard.
1. Opus 1 # 1- This was my very first composition. When my guitar teacher suggested I write more pieces, I knew I had found my calling.
2. Lute Song- I had been listening to some medieval music, where the lute was prominently featured. I decided to try writing my own medieval-style song for the lute.
3. Killaloe- Killaloe is a small village near our cottage. This piece is about my love for the area, and its link to my past. I won my first award, the Ottawa Valley Music Association''s Original Instrumental of the Year 2001, for this song.
4. Spanish Dream- I enjoy listening to Spanish music and watching flamenco dancers. This song is a tribute to that style of music.
5. Late Winter Day- There are days when you sit looking out your window at yet another snowfall, hoping for Spring.
6. Falling- Sometimes you lose hope and turn away from the light.
7. Meditation- I am a strong believer in the benefits of meditation for health and well-being. This piece was composed after one of my meditation sessions.
8. Wishing- Wishing for peace, wishing for joy, wishing for prosperity.
9. The Yellow Rose- This was written in honour of Princess Diana.
10. Grey Clouds Moving By- Cloud watching is a very relaxing pasttime, and on grey days there is always the hope that the sun will break through.
11. For Ellysha- This was written after seeing my daughter for the first time in sixteen years.
12. Play With Me- Kittens, puppies and small children all have that same inexhaustable energy!
13. Green Leaves Dancing Outside My Window- Watching leaves dancing in the breeze at the cottage.
14. Cold Morning In June- There are times in Canada when it seems summer is never going to come. This was one of those days.
15. Danza- Another piece inspired by my love of Spanish music.
16. China Lily- A piece that reflects the beauty of all things Chinese.
17. GoodBye- I wrote this to close off my first album. It is a bit wistfull, but at the same time celebrates my joy in music.