MP3 Kenn Harris - THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER/SEPTEMBER ANTHEM
A hauntingly beautiful rendition of "THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER" masterfully performed on solo, fingerstyle, acoustic guitar/"SEPTEMBER ANTHEM" is a "soundscape" of the aftermath of 9/11/2001, modern ''American'' folk music
2 MP3 Songs
FOLK: Modern Folk, ELECTRONIC: Soundscapes
I recorded these versions of "The National Anthem" in the aftermath of September 11th 2001.
At the time I was at the conclusion of editing/mastering, studio time already scheduled, to complete my second "solo, fingerstyle, acoustic guitar" full album, "AMADEO." I wrote and recorded nonstop for about 20 hrs of studio time. "The Star Spangled Banner" was recorded on September 12th, with subsequent recording over the next few days.
There was a debate at The Clarence and Blue Recording Company, ( the tiniest record company on the planet) as to whether to include "SEPTEMBER ANTHEM" on the album which was named after the Spanish guitarmaker of my handmade, 1959 classical guitar... "AMADEO," literally translates, in Latin roots to "Love of/for G-d." This represented "a first ever... attempt at multitracking" and the character of it was completely out of proportion, to the rest of the album. Although all of my compositions might be considered in essence, somewhat autobiographical/soundscapes of the experiences of life/time etc... this music became a compelling composition, to both produce, and to get out into the world. On the last track of "AMADEO," the "SEPTEMBER ANTHEM," was included on the Album. The album is nearly sold out, about with 20 copies left, of an edtion of 1000 and received a "TOP 10 Local Albums 2003"/ honor in the Scottsdale/East Valley Tribune.
I played multiple instruments, including acoustic and electric guitars (utilizing my 1986 Fender Strat, and a Marshall Half-Stack,) midi-keys, as well as percussion. Collaborative additions of bass, and tambourine, by Arizona rockers, Odie, and Tina of The Tina Bailey Band, and an Arizona summer storm, recorded by my daughter Anna,and addition of the solo acoustic rendition of The Star Spangled Banner, completed my first multitracking effort. (This ''soundtrack'' aired with a video montage, at the end the PHX local affiliate CBS TV NEWS on KPHO Channel 5, as a September 11th Memorial in 2003 and 2004 and 2006.
“September Anthem” incorporates, "The Star Spangled Banner" in what I call “a soundscape of the time... when not only the U.S.A. but the whole world stood still”
I am an Arizona based composer, and guitarist, at times have had some good reviews, comparisons to some wonderful guitarists. I call my music, "postmodern classical" compositions and use my vintage guitar collection, utilizing fingerstyle technique on both nylon/ as well as steel strings, with acoustic and also occasionally electric guitars. Please refer to https://www.tradebit.com and see links on https://www.tradebit.com for other albums for reviews, other soundclips, and other information.
Below is an exerpt from my first ever International review.
Bridge Guitar Reviews/Resonance:
Kenn Harris Amadeo 2003 Clarence and Blue Recording
Company KH 5020
"Kenn Harris, a guitar player living in Arizona, in the USA, began playing guitar at age 11, and started lessons in classical and fingerstyle techniques when he was 14. His album, Amadeo (named after the Spanish guitar-maker), showcases Kenn''s ability to play a diversity of styles, from classical and fingerstyle, to the great Spanish styles. Although he has been compared to Adrian Legg, Ottmar Liebert, Leo Kottke, Earl Klugh and Michael Hedges, Kenn Harris has developed his own, unique style. He uses an Amadeo hand-made, 1959 classical guitar - the same model of guitar as Andres Segovia played. He also plays his Martin 00-17, Gibson L-50 and a Martin D-28. Kenn plays with
intimacy, reflection and dedication..."
"The final track, September Anthem, is a reflective piece written about September 11, 2001, the day the World TradeCenter''s Twin Towers in New York were destroyed byterrorists. This music was used by CBS television for a September 11th Memorial, and is evocative of the atmosphere on that day. To sum up, Kenn Harris has demonstrated his wonderful artistry in this cd, through excellent techniques, balance, structure and dedication.
Henk te Veldhuis
Bridge Guitar Reviews."
see link for full review at https://www.tradebit.com
Inquiries invited via email, at kennharris@https://www.tradebit.com
“THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER”
Francis Scott Key 1814 traditional
Copyrighted Arrangement: originally, 2001, recorded at ABCAT see below/1956 Martin 0017
current version, released on this CD by Kenn Harris 2006
Tina Bailey: Tambourine
Otis Francis: Bass Guitar and Midi Engineering
Anna Harris: Summer Storm Sound Track recorded in Peoria, Arizona 2001
Kenn Harris: Composition, Arrangement, Editing, with THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER/Francis Scott Key 1814 traditional as above Acoustic/Electric Guitars(on this track 1959 Amadeo classical named "La Panterita"/1986 Fender Strat/Marshall Amplification/1956 Martin 0017/ Midi Keys, Percussion
Previously released and copyrighted by Kenn Harris on AMADEO 2003, (current version released by Kenn Harris 2006
Recorded Mixed and Mastered by Otis Francis, ABCAT Recording Studio, at the time of recording in Glendale, now in Phoenix, Arizona see https://www.tradebit.com for contact inf.
1. re'' digital distribution, track 2 incorporates track one thus only purchase of track 2 would be necessary to hear track 1 in entirety...
2. the actual "album" is handmade/folk art/signed very limited edition CDr, with note that the 1st of original 4 has been sold , with now 3 available on line, and should be thought of as a collectors item, of the sub-genre of "AMERICANA" on acoustic guitar... and is not really a "cost effective" mass produced cd. The price reflects the cost of set up for the CD on line.
3. (A portion of all sales of Harris'' music is donated to charitable organizations that try to repair the world/see https://www.tradebit.com for other details).
4. If one did a "GOOGLE SEARCH" for "The Star Spangled Banner"
there are 4,400,000 sites
Add "guitar" 513,000 sites
Add "acoustic guitar" 88,700 sites
Add "fingerstyle acoustic guitar" 1,700
Add "solo fingerstyle acoustic guitar" 324
the top one is a reference to the cd "AMADEO" "September Anthem”
5. Otis Francis, an amazing Phoenix-based guitar player/musician/recording engineer thought this version of The Star-Spangled Banner was the best acoustic version he had ever heard/and in its own spiritual content, could be thought of in keeping with, the best electric guitar version at Woodstock, by Jimi Hendrix. ( I attended the original Woodstock! )
6. Musical influences for the straightforward National Anthem, guitar tones acknowleged... Branford Marsalis solo alto sax, Jessie McGuire solo trumpet versions heard live by Kenn, at America West Arena sports events years apart in the 80''s 90''s.
7. These recordings are dedicated to the memory of those lost on 9/11/2001