MP3 Various Artists - Processional
Australian and US composers feature in this selection of religious and secular music. Brilliant organ playing by Carson P. Cooman is heard in renditions of his own pieces and the title work by Robert Allworth.
18 MP3 Songs
CLASSICAL: Contemporary, CLASSICAL: Organ
“PROCESSIONAL” JADCD 1101
Works by: Giovanni Palestrina, Robert Allworth, Geoffrey Allen, Eric Gross, Derek Strahan , Carson P. Cooman.
The CD opens with three organ works written and played by Carson P. Cooman on the organ of the Rochester Christian Reformed Church, Penfield , New York , USA . “Gallery Music: A Processional Fanfare” (2000), is imagined as a procession taking place within a huge “Gallery”, and is dedicated to Jane & Arthur Perrin. “Twilight Undulation” (2001) is based on the plainsong ''Ad dominum dum tribularer clamavi'', and written in memory of American composer Robert Starer. “Sunburst: A Recessional Fanfare” (2001) is dedicated to Robert Allworth. An effective musical montage follows alternating works by Palestrina and Allworth, as listed below, and performed respectively by Carson P. Cooman at the organ of the Memorial Church , Harvard University , Cambridge , Massachusetts , USA , and by the Choir of Christ Church St. Lawrence, Sydney, conducted by Colin Sapsford.
Secular works follow. “Serenatella” (1995) by Allen is a romantic piano piece dedicated to his wife. “Rondino Pastorale” (1962) and “Miniature for Ray” (1994) by Gross both feature the Sydney Mandolins. Strahan''s “Ironical Rondo” for piano, was begun in 1953 when the composer was at school in Belfast , Northern Ireland , then laid aside to obey dictates to study languages for Cambridge Entrance, and finally revised and completed in 2003. It reflects Strahan''s interest then, as now, in using elements of jazz in a formal classical structure. In its final form it includes, as a contrasting episode, a short lyric piece written in London in 1958, titled “Birgitta”, after an attractive brunette. The CD closes with the title track written by Gross in 1972 as a Wedding March, and a religious devotion for organ by Allworth.
1. CARSON P. COOMAN – GALLERY MUSIC: A PROCESSIONAL FANFARE (2000)
2. CARSON P. COOMAN – TWILIGHT UNDULATIONS (2001)
3. CARSON P. COOMAN – SUNBURST; A RECESSIONAL FANFARE (2001) Carson P. Cooman - organ, Rochester Christian Reformed Church, Penfield , New York , USA .
GIOVANNI PALESTRINA – MISSA AETERNA CHRISTI MUNERA (1571)
ROBERT ALLWORTH – VISIONS OF MARY IMMACULATE (1989)
4. KYRIE LEISON (PALESTRINA)
5. MEDITATIONS OF ST. CATHERINE LABOURE OF THE MIRACULOUS MEDAL (ALLWORTH)
6. GLORIA IN EXCELSIS DEO (PALESTRINA)
7. HYMN TO OUR LADY OF WALSINGHAM (ALLWORTH)
8. SANCTUS & BENEDICTUS QUI VENIT (PALESTRINA)
9. HYMN TO THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY (ALLWORTH)
10. AGNUS DEI (PALESTRINA)
11. VISION OF LOURDES (ALLWORTH)
12. GOSPEL PROCESSION – arranged from Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 by Colin Sapsford. Colin Sapsford, Organ, Christ Church St. Lawrence , Sydney.
13. GEOFFREY ALLEN – SERENATELLA (1995-96) Sally Mays- piano
14. ERIC GROSS - RONDINO PASTORALE OP.33 (1962) – Sydney Mandolins, Michael Scott, flute
15. ERIC GROSS – MINIATURE FOR RAY 0P.196/A (1994) – Sydney Mandolins
16. DEREK STRAHAN - IRONICAL RONDO FOR PIANO (1953-2003) – Derek Strahan, Midi realisation
17. ERIC GROSS – PROCESSIONAL OP.21 (1972) - Lawrence Bartlett, organ, Church of All Saints , Woollahra, Sydney
18. ROBERT ALLWORTH - THE ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRCIN MARY - Lawrence Bartlett, organ, St. Michael''s, Vaucluse, Sydney
People who are interested in Olivier Messiaen Leonard Bernstein Paul Hindemith should consider this download.